The shovel is one of the most important pieces of equipment in the mining industry. But people often confused during the selection between rope shovel and hydraulic shovel. So in this article, we will tell you about the difference between rope shovel and hydraulic shovel. So you can understand which shovel can be more useful for you.
But, Wait before we moving on to the actual difference between the rope shovel and hydraulic shovel, we will tell you what are some parameters that consider while selecting any kind of shovel. Here are some major points.
17 points to consider while selecting a shovel for the mining industry.
- What kind of material do you want to extract.
- What is your working cycle time?
- Are you have enough budget for the maintenance of the shovel?
- What is the swell factor?
- What is your daily production requirement for your company?
- What should be the capacity of the hauling equipment?
- How many numbers of faces do you really want to work on during production?
- Is a power supply available for the electric shovel?
- What is the actual gradient of the working face?
- Is the capital cost of the equipment is fitting in your budget?
- Are the spare parts easily available in the market for your selected shovel?
- Is the construction company providing a better facility after selling the equipment?
- What are the drainage conditions of the working area?
- What is the weight and the maximum lump size of the material to be excavated?
- What are the nature and the depth of the working area?
- Is climatic condition is in your favor while working?
- What are the height of the bench and the cut of the bench?
What is the importance of shovel in the Mining Industry?
- It can handle all types of material, from smooth materials to bulky ones. A shovel can be utilized anywhere.
- The cost of the shovel is usually very high but it can be very productive for long time mining production planning. Many mining companies are moving towards the use of shovels for the enhancement of production.
- It can be very useful when the operating condition is very rigid. With the help of a shovel, one can easily achieve planned production capacity.
- It can give the highest production rate compared to the other similar kind of mining equioments.
- The power shove is very flexible in its operation.
The major difference between Rope Shovel and Hydraulic Shovel
|Characteristics||Rope Shovel||Hydraulic Shovel|
|Resale Value||The resale value of the rope shovel is usually very poor.||The resale value of the hydraulic shovel is quite good when we compare it with the rope shovel.|
|Working Capacity||A rope shovel has usually a high working capacity.||The electric shovel has not high working capacity compare to the rope shovel.|
|Performance||A rope shovel generally has a high working capacity in the tough and abrasive rock. It can be useful in any condition.||Hydraulic rock shovel doesn’t have the high-performance capacity in tough and abrasive rock compared to rope shovel.|
|Space required||Generally, a rope shovel needs a high amount of space for working exposure.||This shovel needs less working space.|
|Power Utilization||Power utilization is comparatively low in this type of shovel.||Power utilization is comparatively high in this type of shovel.|
|Steering Movement||Steering movement is quite difficult for this shovel as it requires huge space for operating.||Steering movement is quite easy as it requires less space for operating.|
|Maintenance cost||The maintenance cost for the rope shovel is usually very high.||The maintenance cost for the electrical types of the shovel is quite cheaper than rope shovel.|
|Degree Maintenance Cost||The degree maintenance cost of hydraulic types of equipment is comparatively low.||The degree maintenance cost of hydraulic types of equipment is comparatively high.|
|Resistance Capacity||It has a high resistance capacity in tough and abrasive conditions.||It has a low resistance capacity in tough and abrasive conditions.|
|Effect of Environmental condition||This kind of shovel is usually very effective in any kind of environmental condition.||This kind of shovel is not so good in polluted environmental conditions.|
|Penetration capacity||One can achieve a high amount of penetration with the help of a rope shovel.||The penetration capacity is usually low when comparing it with rope kind of shovel.|
|Fuel used||Generally, there are two kinds of shovel come under this category.|
1. Diesel Shovel &
2. Electricity driven
|This kind of shovel is generally run by a diesel engine or electric motor.|
|Operation time||This shovel’s operation is very jerky and usually, cycle time is very high.||Hydraulic shovel’s operation is generally very smooth and the operation time is really very less.|
|Boom Angle change||Boom angle cannot be changed easily.||Boom angle can be changed easily during the excavating operation.|
|Used as Backhoe||It can be used as a backhoe||It cannot be used as a backhoe|
Final words on Difference between Rope Shovel and Electric shovel.
We hope you liked this article “Difference between rope shovel and Hydraulic shovel” Very much. If you have any queries regarding this article, then kindly share it with us by commenting in the comments section. If you have liked this article, then kindly share it with your friends and family. Thanks for reading this article till the end.